10 Basic BMX Tricks for Beginners
We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you when you buy through links on our website. Learn more
Congratulations on being the latest BMX bike owner! Welcome to the club. You can now learn and show off your basic BMX tricks and put some respect on your name!
The good news is that BMX bike tricks are fairly easy and you can learn most of them in one day if you have the time. The best part is that they’re so much fun!
You can practice most of these easy BMX tricks with your friends. Be sure to observe the safety precautions as well!
Top BMX Bike Tricks
BMX street tricks started out with only a few simple BMX tricks but they’ve since grown to include a wide array of impressive and aesthetically pleasing contortions that are really worth showing off!
You’ll be glad to know that our handpicked cool BMX tricks are suitable for beginners and experienced BMX bikers as well.
Things you’ll need:
- A BMX bicycle
- Protective gear such as pads and a helmet.
Of all basic tricks, this one is a Daredevil trick. Yet, it’s super easy because all you have to do is master the balance of shifting your weight between the front and back end of the bike.
- Ride the bicycle in a straightforward motion
- As you approach the top of the transition do a 180-degree spin while doing the J hop
- Hop the front wheel back while keeping the back wheel out of the pipe
- Land on the surface
2. Bar Turn
With a bar turn, you get to perform a bunch of tricks at the same time.
- Turn the handlebars at a 90-degree angle with both hands in mid-air
- Put your handlebars back to normal and get back to earth
3. Bunny Hop
This is one of the best beginner BMX tricks and the main activity is to leap forwards and backward with both wheels off the ground!
- Keep speeds at a slow level
- Pull the handlebars in order to put the front wheel up
- Push the handlebars to the front while you’re still up in the air
- Land and take a bow
BMX tricks for beginners on a budget BMX bicycle always feature the J-Hop which starts with the front tire followed by the back tire.
- Lean back while perched atop your bike
- Once the front wheel is up push forward
- With both wheels up in the air, pull the bike towards you
A 180 turn requires that you do a complete turn in the air.
- Make sure to keep a modest pace when performing this trick
- Pull the handlebars to raise the front tire
- Then, push the handlebars forward
- Turn your upper torso to the back tire and do a complete 180 turn
- Bring your bike to the ground in a thump
As the name implies, the goal here is to do a 360-degree turn with your bike in the air.
- Make sure that you keep a modest pace when performing this trick
- Pull the handlebars to raise the front tire
- Push the handlebars forward while your bike is in the air
- Twist the upper part of your torso and do a complete 360-degree turn with your bicycle
- Land like a pro
7. Bar Hop
With the Bar Hop, all you have to do is lift your feet over the handlebars and spear them over the front fender. Thereafter, get your feet over the bars and then return them to the pegs.
- Always ride at high speeds when performing this trick
- Lift your feet up from the pedals
- Use your torso to keep the bike balanced
- Lift your feet up and fly them over the handlebars
8. Bar Spin
With a bar spin, you’re basically twisting the handlebars at a 360-degree angle.
- Allow your bike to roll naturally
- Nip the seat with your inner thigh
- Pull the handlebars to lift the front wheel
- Watch the handlebars spin and clasp them as soon as they slow down to do a complete 360 rotation
9. Double Bar Spin
This is how you do the challenging yet fun double bar spin.
- Jump up vertically
- Hold onto the handlebars in mid-air and spin the bike with your catching hand
- Use your hands to catch it
- Land with a thump
10. Wall Ride
The wall ride is meant to enable you to ride your bike straight up with both wheels on the ground.
- Keep a modest pace with this one
- Do a bunny hop on the wall
- While approaching the wall, do a lever
- Lean away from the wall and land like a boss
Now that you know how to do tricks on adult BMX bikes it’s time to address the elephant in the room; keeping safe.
For best results, be sure to take the following safety precautions to balance out the fun and avoid any unnecessary accidents:
- Always wear a helmet. This is the first rule of safety on a BMX bike. Make sure your helmet fits comfortably and isn’t too tight or too loose. It should keep your head protected without compromising your vision.
- Get the proper gear and wear it. This includes long-sleeved shirts and pants, as well as knee pads and shin guards. This will help to minimize your risk of injury if something happens.
- Wear protective shoes to keep your shoes safe. This means closed and sturdy shoes, not sandals or flip-flops.
- Choose a quiet area to practice tricks and never do it on a busy street or on the road.
- Don’t practice the tricks on traffic roads. Make sure you perform the tricks at the right place.
These tricks are by and large easy to practice. As long as you know the basic steps and have put the right safety precautions into place, you’re good to go!
Have fun with your BMX bike and try out all of these tricks and let us know how you enjoy them.